Skip to content

Jackson County Research Links

 

 

Kentucky History and Genealogy Network, Inc.

 


JACKSON COUNTY

Jackson county was the 105th erected in the state in 1858 out of portions of Madison, Estill, Owsley, Clay, Laurel, and Rockcastle; named after Gen Andrew Jackson. It is on the border of the eastern middle portion of the state; is bounded N and N e by Estill and Lee counties e by Owsley s E by Clay S by Laurel w by Rockcastle and nw by Madison county and is watered by tributaries of both the Cumberland, Kentucky rivers, Laurel fork ,Middle fork ,Indian, Moore’s Pond, Horse Lick, Sturgeon, War fork, and South fork of Camp creeks. On the headwaters of several creeks are bodies of comparatively level land but in the county generally the country is hilly and broken and the soil is thin, usually clay or sandy— freestone except on the waters of Horse Lick and South fork where it is limestone. Iron and other minerals abound. There are vast bodies of coal and timber; of the latter but Little been taken off.  Corn is the principal production. McKee named after Judge Geo R McKee is the county and only town.  A temporary courthouse was used until 1872 when a substantial frame courthouse was erected. In the county are 5 lawyers, 5 physicians, 1 hotel, 1 tanyard, and the Christian or Reformed, Predestinarian Baptist, Regular Baptist, Baptist and Methodist are the denominations.

From  Collins’ Historical Sketches of Kentucky: History of Kentucky, Volume 2

By Lewis Collins 1878


Cemetery


Census


DNA Research


Family History


Local Government Resource


Research Articles


 

Newspaper


Photo