Skip to content

Kentucky Early Stations and Forts

 

Kentucky History and Genealogy Network, Inc.


 

A Dictionary of Kentucky Old Forts and Military Stations

Preface

The research  in this article is based on the works of Lewis Collins to whom all Kentuckians are indebted to for creating the most accurate account of Kentucky’s early basic history. Lewis was an editor, a publisher and considered to be Kentucky’s most prominent historian during his time as well also being a Mason County Judge. Lewis was born in 1797 and died in 1870. During his research work,  Judge Collins had access to key eyewitness to the early history of Kentucky. After pledging each witness under oath for their testimony, his account of the early history is considered to be extremely accurate and has held up against scrutiny over time. His original work, Kentucky Historic Sketches, was published in 1846. It was deemed to be of such importance that his son Richard, who had worked as an editor for his father in the business, re-published the work in the 1870’s after his father’s death. It is with great hope that the following works will be as much benefit to the readers of today as they were when they first hit the press in 1846.

A note From Richard Collins ; “Realizing at every step of his studies in Kentucky history the need of knowledge of the topography of early Kentucky, the author has made the following, for two years, a work of great and patient labor. He has succeeded in making it full and accurate beyond his most sanguine expectations especially when it is known that he has been able to avail of the personal information of only one now living, Dr Christopher C. Graham, of Louisville (who in November 1873 at the ripe age of 87 is enthusiastically engaged in building up a great museum in connection with the Public Library of Kentucky). In addition to all usual sources of such knowledge, over nine thousand depositions of the pioneers of all dates from 1787 to 1827 have been sought out in the various courthouses and their statements, under oath, faithfully examined and compared. It will be esteemed a favor if any one discovering the slightest inaccuracy will promptly notify the author that it may be corrected in future editions.”

The Forts and Stations

In the early development years of Kentucky, there was a constant threat of Indian attacks. The settlers began to petition Virginia (of whom Kentucky was a part of at that time) to provide military protection for the settlers who had land claims in the new country called Kentucky. Military stations were located along the traveled routes and were manned by military officers of the Virginia militia as well as being appointed by the Virginia legislature. When Kentucky became a state she would assume responsibility for her own protection apart from Virginia.

The stations were located about ten but rarely more than fifteen miles apart. In those days the average travel rate was about two miles per hour. That would take the traveler about five hours to go from one station to the next. Forts were also built but were more distantly spaced apart than the stations. The fort could be closed and provided great protection. The settlers relied on the stations to provide safety until the fort was reached. Militia would travel with groups of settlers back and forth between the stations. In the event of an attack, militia would be relayed from the two stations near where the event happened. As you could imagine there were many stations and forts along the route. These would become even more important during the Revolutionary War and the English attempt of recruiting the Indian population into the conflict. Below is a list compiled by Lewis Collins and his son Richard, of the locations and names of these important stop-overs as well as a map to get an idea of where some of them were located;

 

(Please bear in mind that the descriptions and counties in the article below are being conveyed as to what existed in 1870 and prior and may not represent the same county lines as are currently drafted today.)

Click to View 1793 Map

 

 

 

 

 

  1. Adam’s (George) Station, was located in Garrard County.
  2. Armstrong’s Station, was on the Indiana shore in Clark County Indiana, at the mouth of Bull creek opposite the Grassy Flats and eighteen mile Island bar in the Ohio river. Eighteen miles above Louisville, a blockhouse was built there by Colonel John Armstrong between 1786 and 1790 to prevent the Indians from crossing the river here where it was fordable to steal horses from Ky.
  3. Arnold’s (John) Station, was located on Little Benson Creek seven miles above Frankfort. Station was established in 1783.
  4. Arrington’s Station, was located in southern Kentucky and established in 1788.
  5. Ashton’s Station, was mentioned in Boone’s autobiography. Station was settled in May 1782. It is the same as Estill’s.
  6. A Sturgis Station, was settled in 1783 on Harrod’s Trace in Jefferson County.
  7. Bailey’s Station, was in Mason County two and one half miles south of Maysville and one mile from Washington. Station was settled in 1791.
  8. Ballard’s (Bland) Station, was located in Shelby County usually called Tyler’s.
  9. Bardstown, was in Nelson County and was established in 1788. Station was originally called Bairdstown.
  10. Barnett’s Station, was two miles from Hartford, Ohio County and was settled by Joseph Barnett before 1790.
  11. Bell’s Station, was located in Madison County.
  12. Black’s Station, was settled before Dec. 1794 in Fayette county on the waters of Clear Creek.
  13. Blockhouse on Big Sandy River, was located near or above Louisa in Lawrence County.
  14. Blub Licks Lower (See Lower Blue Licks)
  15. Blub Licks Upper (See Upper Blue Licks)
  16. Boiling Spring, was in Mercer County near or in Harrodsburg in 1775. The location was one of the four settlements which were represented in the Transylvania legislative body at Boonesboro Boone’s Station, Boonesboro;
  17. Boone’s Station, was the same as Boonesboro. Boone’s Station on Boone’s Creek in Fayette County about ten miles southeast of Lexington and five miles northwest from Boonesboro. Settled by and after Daniel Boone about 1783 or 84. Boone lived there until he moved to Maysville before Feb. 3, 1786.
  18. Boone’s Squire Station,  was also called Squire Boone’s Station.
  19. Boonesboro, was located on the west bank of Kentucky River in Madison County by Daniel Boone who began the fort on April 1st and finished it on 14th of June, 1775.
  20. Bosley’s Station, was three quarters of a mile above the main fork of Wells Creek near Washington, in Mason County. Station was settled before 1793.
  21. Bowman’s Station, was six miles east of Harrodsburg. Station was settled in 1779 by 30 families under Colonel Abram Bowman. Colonel Bowman moved soon after to Fayette County.
  22. Brasbears Station, was at the mouth of Floyd’s Fork in Bullitt County. Station was settled in 1779.
  23. Bryan’s Station, was located in Fayette County about five miles northeast of Lexington on the southern bank of the north fork of Elkhorn. Station was settled by the Bryans in 1779. A cabin had been built by Joseph Bryan, a son-in-law of Col. Boone, in 1776.
  24. Buchanan’s Station, was located one mile west of Germantown, in Bracken County, and where George Huinlong once lived.
  25. Bullitt’s Lick, was located on the north side of the Salt river. Located about three miles from Salt river and about the same distance from Shepherdsville in Bullitt County. It was discovered by Capt Thomas Bullitt in 1773 and was the only place where salt was made in the area around the Falls in 1780, according to Bland Ballard’s deposition.
  26. Burnt Station, was located on or near Simpson’s creek in Nelson County.
  27. Bush’s (William) Station or Settlement, was located in Clark County near Boonesborough.
  28. Byne’s Station, was settled by Edmund Byne on the North Fork in Mason County.
  29. Camp Knox, was located in the eastern part of Green County where in June, 1770 Col. James Knox with 22 other men called the Long Hunters with 4 pack horses set up camp.
  30. Campbell’s Station, was located on the Dry Ridge in what is now Grant County. The station was three miles north of Williamstown and thirty three miles from the mouth of the Licking River. The station was settled some time before 1792.
  31. Cane Run, was a Presbyterian meeting-house in 1784 in what was then Lincoln County.
  32. Carpenter’s Station, was located in the knobs of the Green river about two miles west of Hustonville in Lincoln County Station was settled about 1780.
  33. Cartwright’s Station, was settled in 1779.
  34. Casey’s (Col. Wm.) Station, was located in Lincoln County some three miles west of and seven miles east of Danville on the Hanging Fork of Dick’s river.
  35. Cassidy’s Station, was located in Fleming County and was settled by Michael Cassidy.
  36. Clark’s Station, was located in Mason County and was settled in 1785.
  37. Clark’s Station, was located on Clark’s run, a branch of the Dick’s River. Station was settled by George Clark before Nov. 1779.
  38. Clarksville, was located in Indiana opposite Louisville. Originally laid out by General George Rogers Clark.
  39. Clear’s Station, was located in Bullitt County.
  40. Collins Station, was located on the Rockcastle River.
  41. Cooper’s Station, was located on Cooper’s Run in Bourbon County, some two miles from Riser’s.
  42. Corn Island, was located in the Ohio river, opposite Louisville where General George Rogers Clark built a fort in June of 1778 and raised several crops of corn. He had several acres of rich land now all washed away.
  43. Cox’s Station, was located in Nelson County near Kincheloe’s Station.
  44. Crab Orchard, is located in Lincoln County about twelve miles from Lancaster and ten miles from Stanford on the old pioneer road to Cumberland Gap.
  45. Craig’s Station, was located on Gilbert’s creek a few miles east of Lancaster, Garrard County and settled by the Reverend Lewis Craig in 1780.
  46. Craig’s Station, (another) was located in Lincoln County two miles east of Danville.
  47. Elijah Craig’s Station, was located five miles from Versailles. Station was established in 1783.
  48. Crews (David) Station, was located in Madison County.
  49. Crow’s Station, was located in what was then Lincoln County near Danville settled by John Crow before May of 1782.
  50. Curtis Station, was located in Mason County.
  51. Danville, is located in Boyle County and was laid off as a town by Walker Daniel in 1781.
  52. Daviess (James) Station, was located about five miles west of Whitley’s in Lincoln County.
  53. Davis Station, was located in the southern portion of Kentucky. Location was probably in Logan or Warren county.
  54. Dougherty’s Station, was located in Boyle County on Clark’s Run about one and a half miles below Danville.
  55. Dover Station, was located in Garrard County on the waters of the Dick’s River.
  56. Dowdall’s Station, was located on the Salt River and was settled before 1784.
  57. Downing’s Station, was located on the east of, and near, the Dick’s River not very far from Danville.
  58. Drennon’s Lick, was located in Henry County near the Kentucky River.
  59. Dutch Station, was located in Jefferson County on Beargrass Creek and was established in 1780.
  60. Elk Fork of Red River, was located in Logan County and had several settlements by 1785.
  61. Estill’s Station, was located on Muddy creek about three miles south of Richmond in Madison County. Station was settled by Captain James Estill before 1781.
  62. Falls of the Ohio, was the first fort that was built on Corn island either in June 1778, in the fall of 1778, or the spring of 1779 and was raised near a ravine where in 1838. Twelfth Street in Louisville terminated at the Ohio river.
  63. Feagans Station, was located in Mason County between one and a half and two miles east of Germantown.
  64. Finn’s Station, was located in Jefferson or Spencer County and was settled sometime before 1780.
  65. Finney Fort, was the original name of a Fort on the lower end of  where Jeffersonville Indiana now stands at the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville).
  66. Fleming’s (Colonel John) Station, was located in Fleming County and was established about 1790.
  67. Floyd’s Station, (first at the mouth of Beargrass in Louisville) was located at the corner of third Street and the Ohio River.
  68. Floyd’s Station, was located on the Middle Fork of Beargrass Creek about six miles from the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville) and was settled by Colonel John Floyd in 1775.
  69. Floyd’s Fork Station, was located in Oldham County near Pewee Valley about eighteen miles east of Louisville.
  70. Forks of Dick’s River, was a Presbyterian preaching place in 1784 and was located in Lincoln County.
  71. Fontainebleau, was located about three miles below Harrodsburg on the banks of the Salt River. A mill was built there at a very early day.
  72. Garrard’s Station, was located in Hamilton County Ohio on the Little Miami River and was established in April, 1796.
  73. George Boone’s Station, was located two miles northwest of Richmond in Madison County.
  74. Georgetown, is located in Scott County and was formerly called McClelland’s Fort.
  75. Gilmer’s Lick, was located seven miles from Whitely’s (Whitley) Station in Lincoln County.
  76. Gilmore’s Station, was located twelve miles east of Mount Sterling in Montgomery County.
  77. Glover’s Station, was located on the Green River where Greensburg now stands and was established in 1780.
  78. Goodwin’s Station, was located on the Rolling Fork and was established in 1780.
  79. Gordon’s Station, was established in 1779 and was located in Mercer County.
  80. Grant’s Lick, was located in Campbell County about five miles from Alexandria on the road to Falmouth. Salt was made there sometime before 1800.
  81. Grant’s Station, was settled by Colonel John Grant in 1779 who abandoned it 1780. Grant moved back to North Carolina returned and re-settled it again in 1784. It was about five miles northeast of Bryan’s station. This was near where Lowe’s is on the Ky R.R. near the Fayette and Bourbon County line.
  82. Grubb’s Station, was settled by Captain Higgason Grubbs on Muddy creek in Madison County sometime before October of 1792.
  83. Haggis’s Station,  (See Trigg’s Station).
  84. Hardinsburg, is the county seat of Breckinridge County and was originally a station erected by Captain Hardin and laid out as a town in 1782.
  85. Hardin’s Station, same as Hardinsburg above.
  86. Harlan’s Station, was on the Salt River in Mercer County. Located seven miles southeast of Harrodsburg and three miles southwest of Danville. Station was built by Major Silas Harlan in 1778.
  87. Major Harlan Harrison’s Station, was located two miles from Higgins Fort and about three miles from Cynthiana in Harrison County. It was built before 1786.
  88. Harrod’s Station, was located six miles east of Harrodsburg in Mercer County on the present road to Danville and was settled by Colonel James Harrod.
  89. Harrod’s Town or Harrodsboro Station, is where Harrodsburg now stands in Mercer County. It was settled by James Harrod in 1774. The Fort, located on the hill, which in 1834 was occupied by the seminary building, included a considerable spring of water at its foot. It was begun during the winter of 1775-6 but was not finished until the ensuing season.
  90. Hart’s or White Oak Spring Station, was located one mile above Boonesboro in the Kentucky river bottom in Madison County. It was settled in 1779 by Nathaniel Hart and some families from Pennsylvania.
  91. Hartford Station, was located where Hartford, in Ohio County is now and was settled before 1790.
  92. Hazel Patch, is on the Cumberland Gap road in Laurel County, north of London.
  93. Helm’s Station; Haycraft’s Station; Hynes Station; was settled by Captain Thomas Helm in 1780 on the spot occupied by the late Governor John L. Helm’s residence. The second station, named after Samuel Haycraft, was on the hill above the cave spring. Hyne’s Station was settled by Colonel Andrew Hynes and occupied the other angle of a triangle where Elizabethtown now stands. They were one mile apart.
  94. Higgins Blockhouse, was located on the banks of the Licking River was located one and a half miles above Cynthiana in Harrison County and was opposite the mouth of Sellers Run. It was settled before 1786.
  95. Hinkston’s Station, was located in Harrison County on the South Licking River about one and a half miles above Higgins Blockhouse. It was a short distance below Hinkston creek and was settled by Isaac Ruddle and others and called Ruddle’s Station until taken over by the Indians in 1780. It was then resettled afterwards and was most often referred to as Hinkston’s after John Hinkson, the most prominent of the re-settlers.
  96. Hobson’s Choice, was the camping ground of General Wayne in 1793 on the river below which is now in the city of Cincinnati. In 1873 it was at the spot now occupied by the gas works located there in 1873, but reaching above and below that.
  97. Hogland’s Station, was located in Jefferson County on the Beargrass Creek. Station was established by 1780.
  98. Hood’s Station, was located in Clark County sometime before 1792.
  99. Hoy’s Station, was located in Madison County.
  100. Huston’s Station, was established in 1776 at the present site of Paris in Bourbon County.
  101. Irish Station, was located in Nicholas County about five or six miles south of the Lower Blue Lick on the road to Millersburg.
  102. Irish Station, (different location) was located between Danville and the mouth of Dick’s River.
  103. Irvine’s Station, was located near where Richmond now stands in Madison County and was established by Colonel William Irvine and his brother, Captain Christopher Irvine, in 1778-1779.
  104. Jefferson Fort, was located in Ballard County on the Mississippi river and was about five miles below the mouth of the Ohio River. The fort was established by General George Rogers Clark within the Chickasaw country in 1780. It was abandoned or evacuated in the spring of 1781 because it afforded no security to the Western settlements.
  105. Johnson’s (Colonel Robert) Station, was located at the Great Buffalo Crossings on the North Elkhorn in Scott County. The station was settled in the winter of 1783/84.
  106. Kellar’s Station, was located in Jefferson County and established before 1780.
  107. Kennedy’s Station, was located in Garrard County between Paint Lick Creek and Dick’s River.
  108. Kenton’s Station, was located about three miles southwest of Limestone (now Maysville) and one mile north of Washington in Mason County. Station was settled by Simon Kenton in 1784.
  109. Kenton’s (John) Station, was located a half mile southeast of Washington in Mason County.
  110. Kenton’s (Simon) Station, was several blockhouses built by Simon Kenton. His father’s family remained with them until July, 1784.
  111. Kilgore’s Station, was settled in 1782. It was located somewhere north of Cumberland river on the south side of the Red River. The station was attacked by Indians the same year, 1782, and broken up. It was probably in southern portion of Logan County near the state line or may be in Tennessee.
  112. Kincheloe’s Station, was located on Simpson’s Creek in Spencer County.
  113. Knob Lick, was located in Lincoln County and was about five miles south of Danville. The station was settled in 1776 by Isaac Shelby.
  114. Kuykendall’s Moses Station, was settled in 1782 in Jefferson County on the waters of Beargrass Creek.
  115. Leach’s Station, was located in Bracken County.
  116. Lee’s Station, was located in Mason County between Maysville and Washington. The station was settled by General Henry Lee in 1785 and is still the home of his descendants.
  117. Leestown, was located on the east bank of the Kentucky river was one mile below Frankfort. The station was settled in 1776 by Hancock Lee Cyrus McCracken, father of Captain Virgil McCracken. McCracken County was named for him.
  118. Lewis Station, was re-settled by George Lewis in 1789. It was formerly called George Clark’s station and was located where Lewisburg is now in Mason County. It was nine miles from Maysville.
  119. Lexington, is located on the Town Fork of Elkhorn Creek in Fayette County and was settled by Colonel Robert Patterson on April 1, 1779.
  120. Licking Station, was located in Harrison County. The station was located probably near Lair’s or maybe closer to Cynthiana.
  121. Limestone, (See Maysville)
  122. Linn’s Station, was located on Beargrass Creek in Jefferson County. The station was about ten miles from Louisville. Linn’s Station was established sometime before 1780.
  123. Littell’s Station, was located in Pendleton County on the Fork Lick, a west branch of South Licking, into which it empties just below Callensville or Morgan’s on Kentucky Central R.R.
  124. Logan’s Fort, also called St Asaph, was located one mile west of Stanford in Lincoln County. The fort was settled by Colonel Benjamin Logan in 1775.
  125. Louisville, (at the Falls of the Ohio) was located in Jefferson County and was laid off as a town by Captain Thomas Bullitt in August, 1773. The first settlement in the area was on Corn Island near the Kentucky shore in the spring of 1778. In the fall of that same year, a blockhouse was built on the main shore and in 1782 a larger fort called Fort Nelson.
  126. Loudon’s Station, was located some thirty miles from mouth of the Kentucky River. The station was probably in Henry County.
  127. Lynch’s Station, was located near Shelbyville. The station was the same as Squire Boone’s.
  128. Lower Blue Licks, was located in Nicholas County, in sight of where the Maysville and Lexington Turnpike crosses the Licking River. The licks were discovered in 1773.
  129. James McAfee’s Station, was located on the banks of the Salt River about six or seven miles below Harrodsburg in a west-northwest direction. The station’s first cabin was built in 1774 with more settlers coming in 1775.
  130. McAfee’s Station, was located in Mercer County about six or seven miles from Harrodsburg on the Salt River and about one quarter of a mile above the old Providence church. The station was settled by the McAfee brothers in 1779.
  131. William McAfee’s Station, was located on Shawnee Run about one mile west of Harrodsburg at the mouth of the Town Branch.
  132. Manchester or Massie’s Station, was located about twelve miles above Maysville on the north bank of the Ohio River.
  133. Mann’s Lick, was a salt station established before 1786 on the south side of and close to the Salt River in Bullitt County, just a few miles from Shepherdsville.
  134. Martin’s Station, was established by John Martin who had built a cabin in 1775 abut five miles from Ruddle’s Station on Stoner. The station was about three miles below Paris in Bourbon County. The station was settled in 1779.
  135. Maulding’s Station, was established in 1780 on the Red River in Logan County.
  136. Maysville, was located on the Ohio River at the mouth of Limestone Creek in Mason County. The station was originally settled in 1784. A blockhouse was built by Edward Waller, John Waller, and George Lewis of Virginia.
  137. McClelland’s Fort or Station, is where Georgetown now stands in Scott County. The outpost was settled in 1776 by John Alex and Wm McClelland and their families as well as others from Hinckston’s Station and Drennon’s Lick.
  138. McFadden’s Station, was located about four miles above Bowling Green on the Big Barren River in Warren County. The station was settled by Andrew McFaddeo in 1785.
  139. MoGary’s (Major Hugh) Station, was located in Mercer County at the head spring on Shawnee Run about five miles north-northeast from Harrodsburg.
  140. McGee’s Station or Cove Spring, on Cooper run, was located in the southeastern part of Fayette County on or near Tate’s Creek Road from Lexington to Richmond. This station was sometimes called Old Station. The station was settled before 1780.
  141. McKinsey’s Station, was settled by Archibald McKinney sometime before 1792 in Lincoln County. Located on McKinney’s Branch of Hanging Fork about two miles from the Green River. The station was about nine miles southwest from Stanford and about four miles northeast of Hustonville.
  142. Mefford’s (George) Station, was located about two and a half miles south of Maysville in Mason County. This station was established in 1787.
  143. Middle Station, was located in Jefferson County before 1787.
  144. Miller’s Station, was settled in 1784 by John Miller. The station was located about one mile from Hinkston Creek towards Blue Licks and one mile northeast of Millersburg.
  145. Mills Station, was supposed to be in Greenup or Lewis County. William Thompson of White Oak, Greenup County who died May 7, 1867 at age 77 settled there in 1790 with his father.
  146. Montgomery’s Station, was located in Lincoln co on the headwaters of the Green River twelve miles southwest from Logan’s Fort and about two miles from Pettit’s Station. This station was settled settled by William Montgomery, the father in law of Gen Ben Logan, and sons in 1780.
  147. Morgan’s Station, was located on Slate Creek about seven miles east of Mount Sterling in what is now Bath County. This station was settled before 1793.
  148. Mud Garrison, is where Shepherdsville now stands in Bullitt County between Bullitt’s Lick and the Falls of Salt River. This station was settled in or before 1778.
  149. Muddy River Licks, was located north of Russellville in Logan and Butler Counties. Initial settlements began between 1780 and 1784.
  150. Nelson Fort, was located in Louisville on the corner of Ninth Street and the Ohio River.
  151. New Holland, was located in Jefferson County sometime before 1784.
  152. Nonsense Fort, was located in Bullitt County.
  153. Old Town, was a name by which Harrodsburg was known at an early day.
  154. Old Town, in Greenup County was the scene of a great battle by Indians.
  155. Painted Stone, has some doubt as to its locality but the station is believed to be another name for Squire Boone’s Station on Clear Creek near Shelbyville, in Shelby County. It was certainly Squire Boone’s military headquarters in June 1780.
  156. Paris, was know formerly as Houston’s Station in Bourbon County. The town was established in 1789 under the name of Hopewell. Soon afterwards it was called Bourbonton and finally Paris as it is known today.
  157. Pettit’s Station, was located in Lincoln County. The station was about two and a half miles from Montgomery’s Station on the headwaters of the Green River and about sixteen miles southeast from Logan’s Fort.
  158. Fort Phillips, was a Fort in LaRue County on the north side of Nolin Creek. Fort was located one and one half miles from Hodgenville. The fort was settled by Philip Phillips 1780.
  159. Pittman’s Station, was located in Green County on the right bank of the Green River near the mouth of Pittman’s Creek. The station was five miles west of Greensburg. The station was settled in the fall 1779 or the spring of 1780.
  160. Poplar Level, was located in Jefferson County sometime before 1784.
  161. Port William, which is now Carrollton in Carroll County, was located at the mouth of Kentucky River. The station was laid out in 1792. A blockhouse had been built in 1786 or 1787 by Captain Elliston.
  162. Redstone Fort, (though not in Kentucky) was located in what is now Brownsville in southwest Pennsylvania on the Monongahela River. This was the most frequent point where emigrants from Pennsylvania and the east, as well as many from Virginia and Maryland, took navigation for Kentucky.
  163. Rogers Station, was located in Nelson County near the Beech Fork. Station was established in 1780.
  164. Ruddle’s Station, was located on the east bank of the South Fork of the Licking river about three miles below the junction of Hinkston and Stoner’s Branches. The station was about seven miles from Paris in Bourbon County. The station was settled in 1777 by Isaac Ruddle but captured by the Indians and destroyed in 1780. The station was re-built by John Hinkson and others and then called Hinkston’s Station.
  165. Russellville, is located in Logan County and was settled in 1780.
  166. St Asaph or Logan’s Fort, was located in Lincoln County about one mile west of Stanford. The fort was established in 1775.
  167. Sandusky’s Station, was located on Pleasant Run in Washington County. The station was settled by James Sandusky or Sodowsky in 1776. In 1786 or 1787, he moved to Cane Ridge in Bourbon County and settled another station which was probably known by the name of Cane Ridge.
  168. Scott’s (John) Station, was located about five miles northeast of Cynthiana in Harrison County.
  169. Skaggs Station, was located on Brush Creek in Green County and established about 1781.
  170. Slate Blockhouse, was located at the old Slate Furnace in Bath County and was established about 1788.
  171. Spring Station, was located in Jefferson County and was established in 1784.
  172. Station Camp Creek, was located in Jackson and Estill Counties.
  173. Squire Boone’s Station, was located in Shelby County near where Shelbyville now stands on Clear Creek, a branch of Brashears Creek. The station was settled in 1780 or before.
  174. Total Number of Stations on Beargrass Creek, were numbered at six in 1780 with a population of 600 men.
  175. Steuben Fort, was located at the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville) in 1790. The fort was originally called Fort Finney and is now Jeffersonville Indiana.
  176. Stockton’s (George) Station, was in sight of Flemingsburg in Fleming County and was established in 1787.
  177. Strode’s Station, was located two miles from Winchester in Clark County and was established in 1779.
  178. Stroud’s Station, was located in Mason County on the North Fork of the Licking River. The station was located at the mouth of Stroud’s run and was established in 1785.
  179. Strode Sturous Station, was located in Jefferson County in or before 1784.
  180. Sullivan’s Station, was located in Jefferson County on Beargrass Creek. Station was established in 1780.
  181. Sullivan’s Old Station, was established before 1780. The station was located in Jefferson County about five miles southeast of Louisville on the Bardstown road. Elisha Applegate, still living in November 1872, was born there in 1781.
  182. Sullivan’s New Station, was located in Jefferson County sometime before 1784.
  183. Sullivan’s (Daniel) Station, was located in Jefferson County sometime before 1784.
  184. Tanner’s Station, was located where Petersburg is now in Boone County. Station was established in 1785.
  185. Taylor’s Creek Station, was probably located in Campbell County on Taylor’s Creek. The Cincinnati Centinel of the North West dated March 12, 1796 states that John Campbell lived there.
  186. Thompson’s Station, was settled by Robert Thompson in 1790 on the Middle Fork of the Elkhorn. It was located about three miles below Lexington in Fayette County.
  187. Todd’s Station, was located in Jessamine County not far from Keene and about ten miles southwest from Lexington. The station was settled by Levi Todd in 1779 who later moved to Lexington as a place of greater safety.
  188. Trigg’s Station, was located four miles northeast of Harrodsburg in Mercer County on Cane Run about four miles from its mouth at the Dick’s River. The station was settled in 1780 by Colonel Stephen Trigg and called Viney Grove because of the number of large grape vines. John Haggin lived there and it was sometimes called Haggin’s Station.
  189. Tyler’s Station, was named after Captain Robert Tyler. The station was located on Tick creek about four miles east of Shelbyville.
  190. Upper Blue Licks, was located on Licking River in Nicholas County. Station was twelve miles from Flemingsburg and eighteen miles from Carlisle.
  191. Viney Grove, See Trigg’s Station.
  192. Waddinton’s, a mistake for Worthington’s Station.
  193. Waring’s Station, was located in Mason County fairly close to two miles from Maysville and an even shorter distance west of the Lexington Turnpike. Station was settled on Feb. 1785 by Colonel Thomas Waring.
  194. Washington, is located in Mason County about three miles southwest of Maysville. Station was settled by Simon Kenton in 1784. The location was laid out as a town in 1786 by the Reverend William Wood and Arthur Fox Sr.
  195. Whippoorwill Creek, was a Logan County settlement that was established in 1784 by the Mauldings.
  196. Whitaker’s Station, was located in Bullitt County. The station was settled by Captain Aquilla Whitaker, the hero of the fight at the foot of the Falls of the Ohio on March 1, 1781.
  197. White Oak Spring or Hart’s Station, See Hart’s Station.
  198. Whitley’s Station, was located in Lincoln County about two miles southwest of Crab Orchard. In 1779 they found Colonel William Whitley’s Station at Dick’s River on the Kentucky trace from Cumberland Gap. On the spot still stands a two story brick house claimed to be the first brick house built in Kentucky. The windows are set over six feet above the floor to prevent the Indians seeing or shooting into the room.
  199. Wilderness, was the great traveled road from Virginia to Kentucky through Cumberland Gap, Hazel Patch, Crab Orchard, Stanford and onto Danville and Central Kentucky.
  200. Wilson’s Station, was located in Mercer County on a branch of the Salt River. Station was two miles northwest of Harrodsburg.
  201. Wilson’s Station, (another one in Lincoln County) was located at the fork of Clark’s Run. Station was established in 1785.
  202. Worthington’s Station or Fort, was located in Lincoln County about four miles southeast of Danville. Station was settled in 1779 by Captain Edward Worthington. One of the Long Hunters sometimes improperly called the station Waddington’s.

{ Did you know; The first county formed while Kentucky was a state was Washington County.}

 

Kentucky History and Genealogy Network Inc. on Facebook 

Donating and Fundraising

Kentucky History and Genealogy Network, Inc. depends upon funding from personal donations, fundraising events and projects and other sources and services in order to fulfill the purpose of the organization. Donations can be as little as one dollar or any amount you feel will make a difference and you can afford to give. Donations and gifts are completely tax-deductible. Visit Our Donation/Fundraising Page To See What You Can Do To Help!